Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Bodhi Tree Bookstore

"All you have to do is contemplate a simple grain of sane, and you will see in it all the marvels of creation.  Listen to your heart.  It knows all things, because it came from the Soul of the World, and it will one day return there."
-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I went exploring (on foot) in my new neighborhood yesterday (Imagine that!  Exploring on foot in L.A.!) and I came across my new favorite place on earth... And no, it's not a clothing store.  Another huge shock!  It's called the Bodhi Tree bookstore, and it's absolutely marvelous.  The second I stepped foot into this bookstore I felt a sudden sense of calm; like I had entered some sort of parallel universe governed by the world's great eastern philosophers, where cats are free to roam amongst stacks of books and where the yummiest herbal teas are complimentary all day long.  

As you can imagine, I didn't make it far on my quest to explore my new neighborhood because this bookstore managed to consume almost my entire day.  I sat and read for hours, feeding my soul and absorbing some ancient wisdom.  It's on corner of Melrose and Westbourne, so if you're ever in L.A. I highly recommend giving yourself a few hours to spend in this beautiful little store.  According to one of the women who works there, it isn't going to be around much longer, so I plan to spend as much time there as I possibly can.  Big Hugs to the Bodhi Tree Bookstore! 





This is one of the books that inspired me to sit and read for hours.  I'm inevitably going to have to go back and buy it, but I couldn't seem to make a decision about which book to take home when I was actually at the store.  This one has been lingering in my mind all day, so I hope it's there when I go back.

I love when bookstores have lots of other things to look at.  I like feeling like I'm in a museum when I shop for books.  Such beautiful art work everywhere!

Behind the Bodhi Tree bookstore is the Used Book Branch, and what it lacks in literature, it makes up for in herbal teas and spices!


Thanks for reading!  I'm so excited to start sharing all my L.A. ventures with you.  I have so much exploring to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment