Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Elizabeth and James

"Elegance is fluid.  It consists of desire and knowledge, grace, refinement, and distinction."
-Rene Gruau

If you love fashion as much as I do, then you no doubt watched and read everything and anything that had to do with Fashion's Night Out.  Aside from all the glamour and big names that headline the fashion industry, it was a nice change of pace to see the less "heralded," as Anna Wintour put it, gain some recognition.  Fashion's Night Out began just one year ago and has already become a global phenomenon.  The concept is great, but I'm curious to know just how effective the event will be long term.  

Conceived by Anna Wintour, Fashion's Night Out called together the international editors of Vogue to brainstorm a way to stimulate economic growth within the fashion industry.  Designers and celebrities alike poured out onto the streets of New York, this September 10th, to demonstrate their support for the cause, while even the most humble and behind-the-scenes people in fashion were recognized for their work.  I'm not sure Neil Patrick Harris was the ideal candidate for the job, but I ate up his coverage nonetheless.  

The most important thing to remember about fashion is that it isn't nearly as glamourous as it appears to be, and that while designers like Oscar de la Renta and Karl Lagerfeld stand at the epicenter, the fashion industry could not, and would not exist without retail sales associates, buyers, manufacturers, pattern makers, textile experts, sewing machine companies, fashion schools, writers, editors, and even interns.  I could go on and on, but you get the point.  It is all a very intricately woven web and I think Fashion's Night Out did a very honorable thing by bringing attention to that very notion.    
Since I never posted my interview outfit I figured better late than never.  The dress is by Elizabeth and James, my new favorite brand.  I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this label in the coming seasons.


Weeeeee. So in love wit my Henri Bendel bag.  It's like a little striped suit case that always makes me smile.


Check out the draping on the shoulders.  It's perfection.


Hard to tell from the pictures, but the dress is navy and the belt is black leather.


Had to sneak one more picture of the shoulder draping in because it's so lovely.


Also worn with some of my vintage lucite and silver jewelry.


The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment