Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Joseph Altuzarra

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."
-Oscar Wilde

Now, I'm not so sure that quotation is true- that fashion is a form of ugliness and that is why we have to change it every six months, but fashion is no doubt a reaction to itself.  If one season tattered, rock-star inspired clothing with studs and leather is in, then we can almost be certain that the subsequent season will be much more refined, tailored, and perhaps softer in its sentimentality.  

Moving on to more important matters... Next season's spring/resort wear is BLOWING my mind!  I haven't been this excited about spring in a long time, so I wanted to share with you some of my favorite looks from Vogue.com.  I don't normally take pictures from other web sites, but unfortunately I can't attend fashion week in person, so I live vicariously in it through Vogue.  

It seems that fashion is in a very experimental place right now.  We're seeing designers really play with color combinations and there's an element of unpredictability in their fabric selections.  White is definitely the color for S/S 2011, and snakeskin has taken center stage, so move over leopard print.  

Joseph Altuzarra, originally from Paris, is definitely one of this generations designers to watch.  His designs are impeccably polished and there's a definite point of view in his S/S 2011 collection.  There's a thread of refinement and sophistication that ties each look together, making his one of my favorite shows so far.
Gorgeous!  I would wear this dress in a heart beat.  

Altuzarra's use of black in this dress causes your eyes to move over the entire look

This asymmetrical black and navy dress is one of my favorite silhouettes.  Check out the lime green bracelet she's wearing and the white shoes.  Such an unpredictable color combination.

His take on the professional woman.

His use of snakeskin in this dress is unprecedented.  Another simple silhouette that relies on detail to stand out from the rest.  The fabrication is sublime.

Simplicity at its finest.

Innovative hemlines make my heart melt.

Altuzarra wasn't the only designer to play with vibrant, unnatural hair colors, but I think it was an effective styling technique that created an overall edge to his otherwise very classy and stylish collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment