Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Very Vintage Post

"When the act of reflection takes place in the mind, when we look at ourselves in the light of thought, we discover that our life is embosomed in beauty."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you really want to know the truth, I hate to model; in fact I'm not all that comfortable in front of the camera, which makes perfect sense because I am NOT a model. I also find taking pictures of myself completely self-indulgent and even a bit narcissistic, which is why I hope to eventually take this blog in a new direction. I am constantly on the look out for stylish people to photograph in my town, but the reality is that where I live people just aren't that fashion conscious; which is not to say that they don't have their own unique sense of style. I would much rather style and take pictures of other people, but for now I'm all I've got. I think the Sartorialist is amazing because his pictures are so authentic and typically portray ordinary people with extraordinary fashion sensibilities. While he is physically absent from his photographs, his personal style is palpable.


I didn't meet my grandma until I was 25 and when I finally did, she gave me this astonishingly beautiful engagement ring. It was given to her by my grandfather, whom she divorced over 40 years ago, but according to her, she held onto it in the hope that one day she might bestow it upon me. So thank you grandma, I will cherish it for the rest of my life. And thank you grandpa for having such good taste! Also wearing my Tiffany's Millennium ring that my mom gave me. I firmly believe in wearing sentimental jewelry :)
Everything I decided to wear today is old old old, which of course means that it's "vintage." la dee da. I won't deny that I love my vintage pieces but I will say that I wish it wasn't so trendy to wear old clothes. This is a vintage top that was given to me by a friend that got it on ebay. I wish I could wear this top every day of my life because it is soooooo ME! I love anything that exhibits old Hollywood glamour and this certainly does.
Check out all the detailed beading. For being so old, this piece is in excellent condition. Whoever gave this beauty up must have lost their mind! Even when the day comes that I can't fit in it any more, I will still want to be close to it... hmmm, maybe it's me whose lost my mind?
I love my vintage charm bracelet, and I wear it almost every day. Sometimes I think I sound like a domesticated animal walking around because it's so jingly. It belonged to my grandma, on my father's side, Elizabeth Kelly, whom I'm named after but never got to meet. She was a very religious woman, which I am not, but I respect all people of all faiths, and I like to think that she's with me all the time now.
This skirt actually has an interesting story. It is considered "deadstock," which means that it is vintage, but had never been worn before. Several years ago, about twelve of these were found in an old Argentinian warehouse, and subsequently procured to be sold at select stores in the U.S. Lucky for me, my mom found this one. She's usually better at finding things for me than I am. The whole outfit is like a merging of the 1920's and 40's.

No comments:

Post a Comment