Monday, July 12, 2010

Thrifty Me

"Some thoughts always find us young, and keep us so. Such a thought is the love of the universal and eternal beauty."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am a born shopper. Sometimes I think it is what I was put on this earth to do... crazy as that may sound. Although, I do see myself more as a treasure hunter; or rather, a seeker of beauty. I had the bright idea to do a little trade in of my old clothes for someone else's old clothes today because I'm pining for some new summer pieces, but can't afford to buy the kinds of things that I'm looking for at "suggested" retail prices. So, I decided to make a jaunt down to one of the local thrift stores here in Solana Beach today. I'm on the hunt for a great clutch and some light-weight jackets.

The store is called Double Take, and I haven't been in for a while, so I'm excited to see what they have in "store" for me... Haha get it? Sorry, I love making dumb jokes. Anyway, I've decided that I'm only going to allow myself to do an even trade in; meaning, that I've made a promise to myself not to spend a penny more than what I get in return for the things I sell. I have to wait until Tuesday to find out what they decide to take, but for now it's all looksies, no buysies. I think it's a great way to shop in this economy because you can find some really great pieces if you're willing to sift through seas of used merchandise. Scores of people have decided to do what I am doing, and if you're anything like me, you don't care if your purchases have had previous owners because they will still be new to you!

All in all, I'm trying to get rid of everything that doesn't fit me, and anything my evil twin purchased when I wasn't around.

I have decided to name my doll Bendi, because she seems to wind up in a lot of my photographs and we've been spending so much time together, that I think it's only right she be given a name. It took me almost the entire day to go through everything that I wanted to donate, sell, and keep, which, in the end, felt like a cleansing of my soul as well as my closet.
Look how strong I am! Carrying trash bags full of shoes and clothes all by myself! And no, you are not mistaken. I am wearing a SCARF in San Diego in the middle of summer! So far, the weather this summer has been dismal. I've been living in my grey Norma Kamali sweatshirt.
Thanks Teddy :)
I really love the shopping experience in Double Take because the store is so well merchandised. I find that a lot of second hand shops can feel cluttered and disorganized, but in this one, things are so easy to find. Also, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
You don't find this kind of neatness and ordered array of clothing in most retail stores! Everything is placed according to its sartorial nature and size, which makes each treasure a little more conspicuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment