Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fashionomics



"Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others."
-Orson Welles


In this economy I have had to cut back on my spending considerably, so everything I’m wearing was either on sale, from a thrift store, or just a really great deal. Part of the reason vintage fashion is so "cool" and trendy right now is because people can afford it; thus, we have the “Vintage Thrift Store Trend,” as I like to call it. There is, however, irony in the fact that fashionable people are able to remain fashion forward by wearing old clothes.

Right now the United States is experiencing an economic recession not dissimilar to that of the 1980’s; and a country’s financial state of affairs is largely responsible for the art that is born out of an era. President Ronald Regan’s agenda sought to minimize government involvement where big business was concerned, to cut taxes, to eliminate government regulations, and to increase military spending… Sound familiar? No wonder we’re seeing so much 80’s and military fashion.
I just got this adorable little Alice and Olivia cropped jacket. Obviously inspired by Balmain's fall/winter collection. I got it at Saks the other day.
I love vintage pins. I wear them on all of my jackets because I think they have an old world feel to them. I got this one at an Antique fair, but I have no idea where it came from, which is unusual for me because I always want to know the history of my vintage purchases. How could I not take it home with me though, for $5?
I go through so many phases of wearing belts. I either wear them every day, or not at all for long periods of time. I have six of these now in my collection and they're all made by a local San Diego artist. She takes apart old jewelry and uses the material to make vintage belt buckles. This one is turquoise and Burmese jade.

I always crack up when my boyfriend takes pictures of me because he says things like "Pretend you're a sportscaster!"
Claudia Ciuti is another one of my favorite shoe designers. I got these black embroidered patent leather ankle boots about 3 years ago and I have to say that I don't wear them nearly often enough. Needless to say I fell in love with them all over again during my little photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment